# Owning a motor vehicle
So you’ve finally decided on a car and now you want to drive it? Or is it finally time to retire your trailer? Either way, you’re in the right place. From original registration and notification of a change of address to de-registration, you can find out what you need, along with lots of other information and contact details, here.To Services
Information about Rights & Duties
You can deregister your motor vehicle with the relevant registration authority,
- if you intend to sell it,
- if you are not going to use it temporarily, or
- if you wish to have it disposed of.
Deregistration terminates the registration of the vehicle for public road traffic. The most common reason for this is the sale of the vehicle. Another common reason is temporary non-use of motorcycles over the winter months.
- After deregistration, you no longer have to pay insurance and taxes for the vehicle.
- Therefore, the registration authority informs your car insurance company and the customs administration, which collects the car tax, about the deregistration.
- The vehicle may no longer be driven or parked on public roads after deregistration.
- Deregistration can be carried out at any registration office.
- You can have your license plate reserved for one year for the purpose of re-registration.
If you move to another registration district, you must re-register your vehicle immediately and apply for a new license plate if necessary.
Do you wish a certain letter or number combination for your license plate, for example
- an abbreviation of your name
- the abbreviation of your company,
- a date of birth or wedding or
- would you like an "old license plate" for your vehicle that is available again in your district together with a certain identification number?
For a fee, you can apply for a personalised number plate or have it reserved in advance.
If you would like to use the licence plate of your deregistered vehicle again in the same administrative district at a later date, you can have the identification number reserved for a certain period of time for a fee and apply for it again in connection with the re-registration or the registration of another vehicle. A reservation of a vanity plate expires if you move a deregistered vehicle. Contact the registration authority before doing so.
- Subsequent changes to a license plate combination assigned to a vehicle are only possible for an additional fee.
- A licence plate reserved in another registration district cannot be transferred to the new registration district when you move.
Note:The registration authorities will try to comply with your wishes. However, you have no legal claim to a personalised number plate.
If you buy an electric vehicle, you can apply for an environmental bonus of up to EUR 6,000. The exact amount depends, among other things, on the vehicle's drive and its base price.
As a resident, you can apply for a resident parking permit for your car or motorcycle or a motor vehicle that you use permanently. The resident parking permit is only valid for a specially designated zone (resident parking area).